Monday, October 4, 2010

Axel Salto...Volcanic, Pottery Inspiration #2


I started my pottery classes yesterday on a brisk fall afternoon here in NYC!  I threw my first coffee mug, well, it was suppose to be I guess, but it turned into a bowl.  Once I glaze it I'll photograph it and post it on the blog.  As I continue my course some of my posts will be geared toward potters that I'm pulling inspiration from, and pieces I find to be beautiful.  The above works are by Axel Salto, the Danish Midcentury potter.  I love that David Revere McFadden, chief curator of the Museum of Arts and Design in NYC, describes his work as "wonderfully rich, gutsy shapes that look like they came off the side of a volcano."  He is so right.  This is why I like his pieces so much.  Very earthly and organic.


No comments:

Post a Comment