Thursday, May 31, 2012

Morocco Continued. The Blue City

As I said last week, I would post about the town of Chefchaouen in Morocco.  Well, here we are!  This magical village is nestled in the Rif mountains, just inland from Tangier and Tetouan.  As soon as our driver turned a corner of the winding road leading to town I knew right away that it was Chefchaouen.  I noticed the beautiful blue structures, as I was told the village is blue!  
Our guide told us the town is painted these light shades because it helps to keep everything cooler, which makes sense.  We do this in the interior design world - it will at least give the illusion that it's cooler.  
Like all towns in Morocco, I had to be very conscious of where I was pointing my camera since the locals are very stand offish when it comes to having their picture taken.  If you do take their photograph, they want money in return, which is fine, but I didn't want to walk around handing out coins every other minute...I would have a gang of villagers following me around!  I did as best as I could keeping my camera at hip level and just snapped away.  I hope you enjoy these images and if you ever have the chance to visit this amazing place, you should, even if it's for just a day.  You'll drive away spell bound looking over your shoulder until the blue fades into the dust... 

 
 Us and our amazing guide and driver Hassan and one of many children that run freely in the village.


1 comment:

  1. So beautiful and breath-taking. Thanks for sharing these with us. One day I plan to visit Morocco It's so rich and full of beauty and history.

    ReplyDelete